Monday, March 28, 2011

MMA Discussion 03-28-2011

So my late Saturday night was pretty interesting......I'll make a post about it eventually.

UFC Fight Night 24.

Phil Davis vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
What I said - Davis by Decision
What Happened - It Happened.

Diet Nog can't resist getting taken down. Like his bigger twin brother.....I think its time to start thinking about either changing your game, or pack your bags. 2 fights in a row he's been beaten by a wrestler. Which means "it's time to bring in a wrestling specialist and start defending those takedowns." Standing he has the advantage.....but guys with a great wrestling pedigree are going to have the advantage on the ground....especially guys like Davis who are also skilled in BJJ. Though I do give Diet Nog credit...he was training for Tito Ortiz who's been washed up for the last 3 years, so he probably was taking this fight very lightly.

Next up for Davis - Franklin, Forrest, or the loser of Machida / Couture.
Next up for Nog - Wrestling Practice, Franklin

Hardy vs Johnson
What I said - Dan Hardy by Decision.
What Happened - Johnson by Decision

Good job Johnson. You made weight.....you didn't gas, and you used your wrestling to take out Hardy. Yes it was an unusual fight for you, but you almost stopped Hardy with a head kick. I was shocked to see how he fought.....he was smart (which some people don't like) but he got the win and it was pretty much an ass beating. I thought after the match that Dan Hardy would be cut from the promotion but Dana White loves him and is keeping him around (I suppose for the UK cards.)

Next up for Johnson - Carlos Condit
Next up for Hardy - Wrestling and BJJ lessons.

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung
What did I say - Korean Zombie by Decision
What Happened - Korean Zombie by Submission / Twister

When Bill texted me that "Zombie got the twister" it brought a few tears to my eye considering I was listening to a bohemian hippie (non russian guy) debate about the cheese and tomatoes not being organic @ Lisa's house warming. I needed to find a tv right away, which I did, and watched tv for the rest of the night. I at least got to see the highlight and then another replay of fight night @ 12.

Zombie basically didn't fall into Garcia's trap of slugging it out and used his wrestling, kickboxing and submission skills to win this match. People know how good he was standing though never really witnessed his ground skills. The kids good, but needs to bulk up a little bit more. Part of me thinks he could probably cut to 135. Still, when you're the first man to hit the "twister" in the UFC (not MMA, it's been done before) you should also get your opponents pay.

Next for Jung - Zhang or Grispi
Next for Garcia - A New Game Plan....you can't just throw 500 punches in 3 rounds, connect with 14 of them, and win a match.

Other fights

Amir Sadollah vs. DaMarques Johnson
What I said - Amir Sadollah by Decision
What Happened - Amir Sadollah by Submission Due to Strikes

Aaron Simpson vs. Mario Miranda
What I said - Simpson by Decision
What Happened - It Happened

Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier
What I said - Semerzier by Submission
What Happened - It Happened

Sean McCorkle vs. Christian Morecraft
What I said - - McCorkle by TKO
What Happened - Morecraft by Submission - Standing Guillotine.

5-2 for the week (winners.)

Next up (April 9th)
Diaz vs Daley

3 comments:

  1. i guess i'll comment on these from the top down.
    nog looked real good early on, he actually defended the take down really well the first few times. he was controlling the ring and winning on the feet. the phil davis decided to bore the fans by laying on top for the next 2 rounds.
    dan hardy sucks, but he will not tap out
    the zombie is great, i've never seen that move used before, incredible.
    amir won by submission, that was great, the dude was tapping as he was getting punched

    ReplyDelete
  2. first 2 fights were great, last 2 fights, pretty butt. Gerry, can you put down who won submission/ko/fight of the night on these posts? It'll save me from looking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea.
    I'll start doing that next event.

    If you guys aren't hammered this weekend and are home by 9, Bellator on MTV2 looks good.

    Eddie Alvarez vs Pat Curran is the main event.
    Two guys who should be in the UFC but are getting paid more in Bellator than they would in the UFC.

    ReplyDelete