Monday, March 21, 2011

MMA Discussion 03-21-2011


So on Saturday we witnessed Jones destroy Rua....and now Evans is next.

What I said Jones vs Rua - Jones by Submission
What happened - Jones by TKO
I couldn't see Rua winning this considering the knee surgery and the lack of cardio. I knew his only shot was the knee bar (which he went for about 4 times.) Everything that I said would happen happened.
Flying Knee - 1st 5 seconds
Spinning Elbow - 2nd round
Elbow Strikes - Every round
Modified submission - Tried an inverted Kimura, a guillotine and couldn't get the rolling knee bar so hit Rua with the backfist instead.
I've never seen Rua take a beating like that, even after his knee surgery's, he still put up pretty good fights...this was an ass wamping.
Next up for Jones - Rashad Evans. Evans just left the Greg Jackson camp because he felt like they didn't have his best interest anymore. Understandable. Same thing happened to Diego Sanchez when GSP came to the camp. Ceasar Gracie (Diaz brothers, Jake Shields) contacted Evans to train with them. Smart move considering Shields has GSP next month.

Next up for Evans -

Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
What I said - Faber by Submission
What Happened - Faber by UD
Eddie Wineland is tougher than he looks....but still didn't have the tools to beat Urijah.
Next up for Urijah - Dominic Cruz and coaching TUF
Next up for Wineland - I want to see him fight Benavidez


Jim Miller vs Kamal Shalorus
What I said - Miller by Decision
What Happened - Miller by TKO
I mentioned that Kamal has strikeritis....and that's what he has. If he took Miller down and worked from there, it would have been a boring fight, but he would have grounded and pounded his way to decision. Instead he decided he wanted to stand and bang....and get KTFO.
Next up for Miller - Still # 5 in my rankings, though he should get the loser of the Guida vs Pettis match, and eventually a title shot in the next year.
Next up for The Prince of Persia - Sticking to the game plan and taking the guy down.

Nate Marquardt vs Dan Miller
What I said - Marquardt by Decision
What happened - It happened
Marquardt is predictable. I know his game plan....and he bores me. The only thing I liked about him recently was that he wants to fight Bisping.
Next up for Marquardt - The Bisping sweepstakes
Next up for Dan Miller - His original opponent Nick Cantone.

Schaub vs Cro Cop
What I said - About Cro Cop...."Even though he's washed up......I think he can pull this off. Probably not, but I'm still pulling for him."
What Happened - Should have went with my instincts. Schaub by KO.
Cro Cop is done. He doesn't have the killer instinct anymore and I believe that it is time to hang it up. He's turning into Chuck Liddell and it's getting harder to watch. Schaub on the other hand is getting better....but still relied on the blanket technique for a few minutes. A real test would be someone like Carwin, instead of washed up former champions.
Next up for Cro Cop - Japan (Dream, K1) or Retirement
Next up for Schaub - Loser or Winner of the Big Country vs Frank Mir fight

My Fight of the Night
Anthony Njokuani vs. Edson Barboza Jr.
What I said - Barboza by TKO
What Happened - Barboza by Decision
Njokuani is a tough guy....he took a beating in the 1st, gave the beating in the 2nd and then almost got KO'd in the last 5 seconds in the fight, but kept going. Barboza though always delivers and never has a boring fight. He'll be a champion one day, though the LW division is so deep, it could be a while.
Next up for Barboza - A wrestler....I'd like too see how he does against one.
Next up for Njokuani - A Top 15 LW opponent.

Rest of the Card

Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
What I said - Benavidez by Submission
What Happened - Benavidez by Decision

Raphael Assuncao vs. Erik Koch
What I said - Assuncao by Submission
What Happened - Koch by KO

Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
What I said - Pyle by Decision
What Happened - It Happened

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau
What I said - Tibau by Decision
What Happened - It Happened

Costantinos Philippou vs. Nick Catone
What I said - Catone by submission
What Happened - Catone by Decision

Luis Artur Cane Jr. vs. Eliot Marshall
What I said - Marshall by decision
What Happened - Cane by TKO

9-3 for the week. Not bad.

Next up.....
Diet Nog vs Mr. Wonderful

3 comments:

  1. My original quote was: "Jones by ground and pound. what round? every round."

    which was pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just like i said, brendan schaub is great. as long as he fights old guys with glass chins, no takedown defense or ground game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start calling Schaub the "Can Crusher" because that's all he seems to beat.
    His record looks "great" because he has fought "cans."

    In the UFC he's beaten
    Chase Gormley
    Chris Tuchscherer
    Gonzaga
    Cro Cop

    Nothing but cans.

    ReplyDelete