Friday, February 18, 2011

MMA Discussion 02-18-2011




A few years ago I witnessed Kyle Maynard, an amateur mixed martial artist born with congenital amputation of the forearms and lower legs fight in his debut.
Though the fight went exactly how I thought it would go (with his opponent avoiding the takedown) I wondered what was next for the world of MMA?


This weekend, Tachi Palace Fights gets to witness a man who claims he is the "white version of Rampage." This man is Tyler "Hulk Hands" Freeland. At a record of 16-4 (amateur) he's making his pro debut at 145 Pounds......and he's 4'11.

Basically it goes like this...Tyler has dwarfism. His high school wrestling record was 38-4, and in 1999 he was the Idaho freestyle state champ. Right now he walks around @ 160, though is going to try and make the Bantamweight (135) so he could fight guys his size (even though Miguel Torres is 5'9.) If I were him, I'd lose some muscle and make it to 125. Even though he'd fight some guys who were a few inches taller than him (in any weight division this is going to happen), I guarantee he'd be way more powerful. Also fighting a guy that short is not fun whatsoever, they can change levels in their wrestling game in a split second. Also I've never tried an armbar or a leg lock against a person who was a foot shorter than me....so I don't know how that will all work out for his opponent.

Pretty interesting right before I posted this....I checked out his amateur record, and he's lost 4 times via triangle choke....and once to the guy who he's fighting tonight. Could be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. How the hell is he that heavy? does he weigh 160 lbs. while wearing his dwarf armor? I can't even get up to 150 and I'm more than a foot taller than him.
    On another MMA related note. This guy on my hockey team got taken down during a fight and he landed an elbow from the bottom and almost has the other kid in high guard when the ref broke it up. He said he was going for a triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized i didn't even answer your question. Can he fight banuelos? That might be a good fight. It's obviously in his best interest to get his weight down. I think he'd have huge trouble fighting a guy that was so much taller. Even if he gets on top, he's gonna have trouble passing the longer legs and dodging elbows. On the plus side, i think it would be very tough to catch him in an armbar/kimura. chokes probably would be a problem for him, as you've already pointed out. I'd really like to see him fight a girl. Also, is he allowed to use his magic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, i lolled when you asked if he can use magic, obviously magic is not allowed or he would just hit you with an acorn and you would turn to stone. (willow reference? anybody?)
    this guy might be able to fight, but is he going to be exciting? no. he can barely reach your face, so theres no way he's knocking you out. if he takes you down you could probably hold him in your guard and still punch him in the face while he cant even reach you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever happened to the dude that played Willow? I know he was Leprechaun and maybe a guy in Harry Potter. Warwick Davis?

    Brad pointed out that if you hold him in guard, he won't be able to punch your face. This will remind me of Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson. Monson is 5'9" and even though he was built like a tank....when he took Sylvia down, his hands couldn't reach Sylvia's face while Sylvia (who is 6'8") kept touching him with the jab.

    T-Rex arms are no fun.

    "Don't call me a peck!" - Willow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would this guy get 2 chances before he loses a point for punching the other guy in the balls? He's too short to kick the other guy there but do the same rules apply to accidental junk punches?

    ReplyDelete
  6. a couple things
    warwick davis was in harry potter (he plays a midget teacher (he doesnt teach midgets, but he's a teacher and a midget)), he's been in a ton of stuff, he was in a chronicles of narnia movie, and a little film you may have heard of called return of the fuckin jedi! yeah he played the main ewok guy.

    also, you can see what a reach advantage did to bader, couldnt even get close to bones.

    ReplyDelete