
Weekly meetings are always my favorite. Different townships come here, they talk, they laugh and I surf the internet. They give me a list of things to do and 99% of the time I do them in 1 day.
For the last month I've been creating a new stored procedure @ work to take care of the monthly updates for a certain township in our Main Application. Shit is so cash. ON the test database it worked, and I knew that this would be a hit @ the meeting and eventually all townships would want to go this route (It saves them money.) Well at the last second the township asked for something that would change my program though it wouldn't hurt anything. I created a backup (I always do this) right before I made the major change and threw in the update on the production database.
So while trying to get the projector up, I ran the update on my laptop and noticed instead of updating just 394 records.....I updated over 300000. I forget to end my update statement using the township id. I was sweating like it was Saturday night all over again and I didn't know what to do (Rollback statement wasn't working.) I knew I could run the backup though the tape was in my office, server room is downstairs, on the other side of the building and they would ask 1000 questions if I wasn't in the room for 15 minutes.
So I pretended to call Ryan (our tech) because the projector wasn't working (I unplugged it) and called a local bakery and asked for my usual times 20. "I'm not playing around....hurry" I said.
Ok......so I fix the change in my procedure, while I'm giving the speech in front of the room, and then I get a phone call saying that I have a delivery. I tell them to place it in the kitchen and keep talking. I say to the room "In a few short moments I will be showing you the new procedure on how to run invoices and the improvements but first would the room like some doughnuts and coffee?" While saying this I waved two fingers in front of the room.
They all got up, smiled, and ran out of the conference room. My boss was so confused....he just looked @ me with the "WTF did you just do to the room?"
During this time I ran to my office, grabbed the tape, ran down the stairs to the server room, started the backup, ran upstairs to see where everyone was @, and repeated this process 7 times. I noticed the backup was completed, replaced the tape, ran upstairs, ran the update and my program (which worked), plugged in the projector, and sat back down while the last 2 people came back in the conference room. Total time...13 minutes 56 seconds.
After the meeting my boss wanted to talk to me. Though the only thing he said was
Boss -"Did you just pull a jedi mind trick because you needed more time?"
Me - "Yes."
Boss - "That was probably the smartest move in the history of this place."
Epic Win.
That is a tremendous move, probably your best since taking 2 girls to the prom.
ReplyDeletei know we've all said before that the force is strong with you.
i didnt know you had to do presentations at your job.
You didn't really have a father did you? born straight from the midichlorians. I had to help someone type numbers today because they didn't have numlock on and retrieve data from a floppy disk
ReplyDeleteWow, Whats most impressive is that even with all that you had time to put quality pictures up to go along with your story. The force is definately strong with you you've brought an overbalance to it. Mike... Do you yell at work?
ReplyDelete@ Brad - Thanks. It works out that I've always liked to be the center of attention. My boss just is tired going to meetings and talking, so he's grooming me for this. I mean I may be 40 dollars shorter than I was 3 hours ago, but it was worth it. I don't know if anything will ever beat the prom but that was my start.
ReplyDelete@ Mike - You're right....born strait from midichlorians. Thing is Yoda would have rejected me because I was too old to start the training. The people @ your job are hilarious. I don't know how you deal with it. I even read Casey's facebook from a bit ago and she had to fix some problems and she was venting on the facebook.
@ Bill - The force is strong with us all. Did you ever friend request that girl Alla wanted to hook you up with? I'm pretty sure she'll want the force.....in light saber format.
I just act like everything i do is hard and try to keep a straight face. I also had to look up a lottery ticket for my boss to see if he won. He won $7.
ReplyDelete