This is obviously a highly debated topic and I saw a poll on 1 website that I want to repost just so you guys can see the options.
Who is the greatest mixed martial artist of all time?
I nearly choked when I read the last one. Didn't even see it coming.
Now I don't think GSP is the GOAT (his career is far from over though) but Garcia actually has more votes than him. For lolz.
1 guy wrote his reasons for voting for Garcia.
He has the power to put the judges in a trance the way he get his ass beat but keeps coming forward, eating shot after shot after shot and always wins… the guy is a technical genius. It is also hard not to vote for a guy that gets submitted by a Twister in front of millions of people watching. You have to have skills to do that… Now if he let’s Bruce LeeRoy beat him even a blind man could see he was the GOAT.
On another note, The winner of Schaub Vs Nogeira will likely get a heavyweight title shot. Name someone that is currently good that Schaub has beat. You gotta be kidding me. He only fights guys that are on a 2 fight losing streak.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brad edit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: cecil Peoples chart


first of all, i dont think its a fair vote when most of these guys havent finished their careers. also its not really fair for me to vote because i havent seen all of fedors fights or any of rickson gracie. However, if i was to vote i think i'd pick anderson silva. it is real tight between him and gsp, but the stuff silva does is ridiculous. he takes a lot more chances in fights than gsp.
ReplyDeleteleonard garcia, lulululz i wouldnt pick anybody in featherweight to be goat. i think the higher weight class you are in gives you a better overall ranking in goat.
I always said that if Garcia yells every punch and throws over 200 power punches in every round, he'll win every fight. I mean even though he connected 7 out of 200 times, it's the fact that he threw them. Garcia should create his own title and wear it to the ring.
ReplyDeleteSchaub vs Big Nog. This guys name should be the "Legend Killer." He's fighting up washed up stars from 2003-2007. Lets look @ his UFC Record which is 4-1.
ReplyDeleteWin Mirko Filipovic KO (Punch)
Win Gabriel Gonzaga Decision
Win Chris Tuchscherer TKO (Punches)
Win Chase Gormley TKO (Punches)
Loss Roy Nelson KO (Punch)
This guy couldn't finish Gonzaga, took him 3 rounds to TKO Cro Cop, and got KTFO by Big Country. The heavyweight division isn't weak, but I guess they see this guy as a potential star. I still think he needs to beat Big Nog (which he probably will), Frank Mir, and one of the Strikeforce guys before getting a title shot.
The GOAT of MMA.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to say who is the goat. Brad pointed out that these guys haven't finished their careers and he's right. Look @ Randy Couture, back in the day (UFC 13) he was unstoppable in the UFC, then got beat by Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez and dropped weight after that. Though @ the time. It sucks that once you lose (after dominating a division for years) that you are no longer the GOAT.
Even though Rickson Gracie went 10-0 in Modern MMA (and reportedly 400-0 in NHB matches in Brazil) it was before any one evolved in the sport of MMA. Wanderlei Sivla once said that Rickson Gracie was "living in a fantasy world...like star wars."
When it comes to GOAT's I can do it by divisions.
HW - Fedor. Went undefeated for 10 years, fought the best of the best @ the time in MMA, won multiple Grad Prix's, fought twice in a night, & stopped a majority (24) of his Opponents.
LHW - Wanderlei Silva. Same as Fedor. At one time was unstoppable & fighting the best of the best in Pride. People would say that Liddell or Tito was the GOAT of LHW but they weren't as dominate as Silva was during their time.
MW - Anderson Silva. No MW has been as dominate as Silva's been.
WW - GSP. Some would argue that Hughes was the GOAT but GSP beat Hughes in Hughes prime...and has defended the title more times than he has.
LW - This is hard to decide on. People would say BJ Penn, others would say Gomi. I really can't decide here. Both are still young and so are the competitors. I think if Penn beat Edgar, and then beat Maynard he would have been the GOAT of LW. Gomi on the other hand lost a few non title matches in Pride but went on a dominate run for a bit. Still not
FW - Leonard Garcia...who else. Actually it's too early to tell. If Aldo keeps it up he will be the goat. Between 2002-2007 Kid Yamamoto had a chance to become the goat of FW but his competition wasn't that strong. Dana White wanted Kid to fight in WEC against Faber that would have made cemented his place as the GOAT of the FW.
BW - Too Early to Tell.
I'm with Brad. I haven't seen all of Wanderlei or Fedor's stuff. GSP is physically better than almost everyone. But the one guy that really just out skills and makes people look foolish.....Anderson.
ReplyDelete