Friday, June 17, 2011

MMA Discussion 06-17-2011 - Strikeforce





Before I get started I would like to let you all know that I swing from Overeem's nutts.
If he loses it'll be like that time I saw Akiyama get triangle by Chris Leben. It broke my heart.



Overeem vs Werdum - Overeem by TKO.
Not all of you know the Overeem that I know. I've been watching this guy since he was 205 pounds of pure awesomeness. Yes he did get Knocked Out by Chuck Liddell in 03, and TKO'ed by Rua in 05 and 07 but it's been forever since that happened. Then after his loss to Sergei Kharitonov in 07 he had a dramatic change. He decided not to cut weight anymore and fight @ HW....and it's the best thing that has ever happened to him. He then became Ubereem.
Sure you might say that he took steroids but I think it's all the horse meat he's been eating. I mean look @ the time line. All natural baby.
Werdum on the other hand has the title of "Submitting Fedor." He's been ko'ed silly by JDS and lost a decision to Arlovski because he was afraid of his punching power. If you look @ his last fight, Fedor almost finished him but ended up getting triangled. The guys not good @ taking punches.

Why Overeem wins this - Striking, Power, Clinch / Plum, Takedown Defense, Horsemeat
Take a look @ this gif.You're not going to beat that type of Striking up close. His Muay Thai + Power wins this for him. When you get hit with an Uber-knee it's the beginning of the end for you. Werdum will be an idiot to keep this standing with the K-1 Grand Prix champion.

Why Werdum wins this - BJJ
He did submit Fedor, and he has 1 win over Overeem already (from 06.) Things have changed though. Watch Werdum try to get Overeem in his guard, and maybe even jump guard once or twice in the fight.

Why Overeem loses - Cardio, BJJ.
He doesn't have bad cardio but I can't see a guy that size going 3-5 rounds with anyone. Overeem goes in for the kill everytime and even though his BJJ has improved, it's not on the same level as Werdum.

Why Werdum loses - Can't take a punch.
Re-watch Werdum vs JDS, or Arlovski, or Fedor. He gets rocked a ton. I don't see this ending well.

I see this being a crazy fight with the announcers swinging from Werdums nuts and reminding the fans that he "did submit Fedor." But I don't swing from Werdums nuts. It's either going to be a strait right hand or Uber-Knees to the face to end Werdum's night.


Rest of the card
Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers - Barnett by Submission
I'm surprised he passed the pre-fight drug test

K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal - Noons by decision
Noons will fight anyone. I respect that.

Daniel Cormier vs. Jeff Monson - Monson by Decision
Cromier is shaped like Big Chris. Monson is a veteran.

Valentijn Overeem vs. Chad Griggs - Chad Griggs by Comeback Tko
Chad Griggs gets beat up for 2.5 rounds then comes back to TKO you. He even beat Bobby Lashley.

Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante vs. Justin Wilcox - JZ by submission
JZ has a pretty cool tattoo on his arm. He wins by that.

5 comments:

  1. Reem put on 35 pounds of muscle since the last time these 2 fought. horse meat must be delicious. I think reem will crush him. werdum just throws out desperation moves when he gets rocked like battle arena toshinden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick Facts: Overeem is the defending Strikeforce and Dream heavyweight champion. He's also the K-1 World Grand Prix champion in both MMA and kickboxing, but no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. F'n Battle Arena Toshinden (I think I stole that from Kevin as well.)

    35 pounds of muscle in 4-5 years is actually believable. I watched an interview with him cooking....the guy eats 250 grams of protein a day. His routine was 10am I eat, 11am I eat, 12pm I train..2pm I eat, 3 pm I eat, 4 pm I eat, 5p I train, 7pm I eat.

    All this guy needs is the UFC HW Championship and he'll be the GOAT, next to Leonard Garcia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. overeem is probably on roids, but i'd still like to see him punch someones head off. are we watching these fights this weekend? cant wait to see frank shamrock in his man braces tell me 18 times that werdum did "submit fedor". i thought gina carano was fighting?
    be careful saying what games you "borrowed" from kevin, a lot of traffic comes through this blog, i dont want word getting back to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fights are on Showtime (usually watch them @ my place) but you can usually purchase the fight through the internet. Just need a laptop, and a tv connection.....Mike & I have done it that way before.

    Gina Carano got "hurt" aka no where near the weight she was supposed to fight at. Last I heard she was @ 165 a few weeks back.

    ReplyDelete