Monday, June 13, 2011

MMA Discussion 06-13-2011 - UFC Recap






JDS vs Carwin
They should have stopped it in the 1st. Carwin's nose was broken and all he wanted to do was blow it to feel better. JDS looked good and I'm picking him to be the next UFC HW Champion. Carwin needs a good comeback fight......and with the Strikeforce fighters coming in, I think this is the last time you'll see Carwin in the top 3. BTW, I counted 38 unanswered shots here.


Kenny Florian vs Diego Nunes
Kenny Florian impressed me @ this weight. He didn't look exhausted but Nunes hit him with a few good shots that made me wonder will Florian be able to handle the power of Aldo. He is next in line for a title shot.

Mark Munoz vs Demian Maia
Pretty lackluster, but Munoz escaped a few tough spots and pulled out the win. It's tough to tell who's next, but I'd like to see him face Brian Stann.

Dave Herman vs Jon Olav Einemo
I picked Herman to win this but for the first 5 minutes he looked like he was in trouble. Pretty small @ HW, he's going to be like Randy Couture....always fighting HW's bigger than him. I'd want him to fight another up and comer (maybe the Mexicutioner) but after the TKO to Einemo, they'll probably throw him against one of the Strikeforce guys coming over.

Donald Cerrone vs Vagner Rocha
Cerrone disappointed me in this fight. Yes he beat the legs of Rocha and could have ended it by attacking a little more, in his post fight interview he claimed he was "Fighting not to lose." That won't go over so well with Dana White. He wanted Cole Miller a few months back so I say give him the fight.

Sam Stout vs Yves Edwards
My only wrong pick. Edwards was out cold. Stout looked good,but his takedown defense will always be his weakness. I'm still upset about Edwards...the guy used to be my favorite lightweight a few years back.




On Saturday is the Strikeforce Grand Prix with Overeem taking on Werdum. Also on the card Josh Barnett vs Brett Rogers. Should be great.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how everyone jumps band wagons after a win. JDS is currently the favorite against Cain. Dana publicly criticized the judging after the event. The Munoz/Maia fight was a lot closer than the scorecards. Omigawa is actually getting his win bonus even though he didn't win, cause Dana thought he did. One judge even gave a 30-27 score against Michihiro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could be better judges. The Maia fight was tough to call, could have been split decision either way. I read about that Omigawa fight and realized that he lost....but even the people calling the fight were giving him the fight. I'm trying to find the fight to see what the judges were watching.

    If Cain comes in the way he did against Brock I say he would win.....but he's coming off of shoulder surgery & JDS looks unstoppable.

    I still don't think they could beat the Undertaker though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. herman is really undersized, but his kicks and knees are strong enough to keep somebody off him. that fight was great, i thought herman was about to fall and then he landed a couple great shots and knocked down eminem.
    kenflo looked good, his entrance music was cool too, gotta d/l that thing

    ReplyDelete