Sunday, January 29, 2012

Proper trigger safety

Robert Downey Jr. practices it

7 comments:

  1. It's not just for movies and swat teams people.

    Vincent: Whoa!
    Jules: What the fuck's happening, man? Ah, shit man!
    Vincent: Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
    Jules: Why the fuck did you do that!
    Vincent: Well, I didn't mean to do it, it was an accident!
    Jules: Oh man I've seen some crazy ass shit in my time...
    Vincent: Chill out, man. I told you it was an accident. You probably went over a bump or something.
    Jules: Hey, the car didn't hit no motherfucking bump!
    Vincent: Hey, look man, I didn't mean to shoot the son of a bitch. The gun went off. I don't know why

    Yesterday I hit the range. It was packed. The people next to me shot the clip that hangs the target on the line off of the top of the target at 25 feet. Since the bull was in the middle of a 24" target that's attached to a 6" square of cardboard, that's about a half high at 25 feet.

    Put down the gun. You are either a fucking terrible shot or you had your finger on the trigger when it should not have been. I don't know what one I'd rather them be.

    My favorite are the people with shitty guns or rentals that never get cleaned that also suck at trigger control. Because it jams and they have it pointed to the side with their finger on the trigger trying to clear it and rack another round in the chamber. Boom. It's why there are holes in the barriers, ceilings, etc. If you do that kind of shit, I think they should just take your gun away and flag you to not be able to ever have a gun again.
    Later on they leaned over and commented on my shooting. How do you tell them that you wished they would find another hobby or get some fucking training?

    In the competitions I shoot in, they are super anal about trigger control and muzzle direction. If you aren't lined up on a target, it's finger off the trigger. They usually give you one warning. After that, you get to watch for the rest of the day.

    I had a scare while hunting. I was sitting against a tree with my feet out in front of me. When I cocked my muzzle loader, my glove snagged between the trigger and trigger guard. I lined up on a deer and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. I lowered the gun to look at it, saw my glove stuck in it, and pulled my hand away. Boom. 50 cal hole in the ground two inches from my foot. Though I was not on the trigger and the gun had just failed to fire, I ignored where I was pointing it for a split second. I would have had a pimp walk for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't shoot yourself or i would probably not be allowed to get a gun any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not that close yet. I still have to hand in my form at the police department. I want a 9MM, but haven't narrowed it down further than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well when you get to that point, you should come back down here. The range I'm a member at has a slew of 9mm guns for rent. I would tell you to at least pick up a glock, sig 226, springfield xdm, and of course I love my M&P 9 and 45.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, I'd like to try a bunch so I can really make an informed decision. I'm just slacking on getting my paperwork in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder why he doesn't have a mag in the rifle in that pic. It appears that he has the bolt closed. So there could be a round in there.

    ReplyDelete