Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Couple stuff you should be aware of

All major ISPs are banding together and creating a new super gay policy. Basically they are gonna help out the RIAA andMPAA and other agencies that are bitching that piracy is killing their business. So your isp will contact you if you are downloading "illegal" stuff. good news is that you get 6 strikes before they either block your internet access for an unspecified amount of time or slow your internet down to dialup speeds. There is a pretty good video from attack of the show that explains it, as well as throws in a bunch of jokes about downloading family guy.
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/54097/ISPs-Six-Strikes-Plan-Cracks-Down-On-Piracy/
Apparently there won't be any global blacklist, so if you get banned from one ISP you can go to another. I don't know if they would still charge you for internet if they were blocking your access, although i'm sure Comcast would, because they are thieving bastards. This whole thing sounds like a bad idea. If one ISP doesn't enforce it, or enforces very loosely, everyone will be switching to that service. So i'm not sure how strict they will actually be. They are supposed to be starting enforcement anytime over the next 6 months.

7 comments:

  1. Cliffnotes?

    What are they going to look for and how can they tell what I'm downloading without spying on me?

    Like how do they know it's a movie and not a bunch of work pdfs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. once these companies start losing money from this policy they will stop enforcing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they've released all the info on their plans. I've heard that congress may claim this idea to be illegal because they are spying on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to let you guys in on a secret.
    There's a guy @ my job that deals with the MPAA & RIAA. He's the Lawyer / consultant who they contact to make deals with the thieves. Lets say you've downloaded $10,000 worth of songs.......he'll send a letter to your house giving you a few options. I've seen a list of things people have downloaded.

    @ Stu: I've asked this question & this is the answer I received. Once you've exceeded the bandwidth limit, that's when they start spying on you. Could be the bandwidth limit for the day or the month, it's different for every service. Then they will check on where you're getting your data from.

    A ton of people download movies from ITunes (which can be over 2gb's) and programs from Microsoft's website (Visual Studio Premium is over 4GB's.) Those raise red flags all the time and they are reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bastards......

    But my interwebs is quite unsecure and someone else was downloading all those stolen moviez.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stu....that excuse works about 100% of the time if you're not a computer guy.

    ReplyDelete