A lady at work is trying to import data from excel. It’s set to import columns to the database, but the column names have to be exact so the fields will match. The instructions I wrote say very specifically that they have to be the exactly the same, including capitalization, and what the column names should be. I get called over to order entry because the import isn't working. I immediately look at the column names. The column that should say “Quantity” says “QTY”, the column that’s supposed to say “ItemID” says “Fig#”. I had to explain that the computer doesn’t know what you mean.
Actual conversation
Me: Oh, tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo already.
Sped: I thought that was more towards the middle of the month.
Me: *thinking, haha, good one. Nope, you were serious. I feel sorry for you.*
"The files are inside the computer?"
I was adding RAM to some computers at work. They only have 2 DIMM slots with 512MB in each and I’m replacing them with 1GB sticks. I told the guy I was adding RAM to his computer, but when he saw me taking stuff out, he asked if he was gonna lose the files that were on there.


The good old import from excel to the database.
ReplyDeleteAll I ever ask for is that the headers be correct. Now I have it where my package converts the headings (Employee ID to Employee_ID) so these people don't even have to touch anything anymore.
I basically made this guys job so easy that he only has to hit 5 buttons @ the end of the month to run reports. That's all he does now.
It used to take him a month to format a spreadsheet (headings & dates, currency, etc) but it's all done through the backend. The only thing he needs to do is put it in the correct folder...and he can't seem to do that right.
Thank god for SSIS.
Andi is always going on about stuff like this.
ReplyDeleteYesterday she was telling me about a woman at work that she told to do something and the woman says that there is only one button. Andi says there's two. The woman assures her there's one. Andi goes to her desk and there is two. If you can't count, how do you have a job.
She also told me about a woman that was having a hard time printing stuff. She changed her setting on her computer and it wasn't printing a date and copyright stuff. She emailed it to Andi and Andi printed it just fine. Andi told her it was a problem with her printer driver, acrobat, or settings because it printed just fine for Andi. The woman asked if Andi could send her that file back since she knew that one printed correctly.
Reminded me of the "Please send my picture of the spider back" emails.
the RAM one is great, how about if you dont know anything about technology, you keep your mouth shut while the tech guy fixes it. I usually dont keep too many of my important files stored in my ram.
ReplyDeletecinco de mayo? srsly?