Monday, February 6, 2012

MMA Discussion - Diaz vs Condit



I watched the fight twice after you guys left. Once Sunday morning. I looked online, saw the fight metrics, and then saw the judges scorecards. I have no idea what they were watching. I'm still sick to my stomach.

Fight metrics had Condit out striking Diaz via Leg Kicks, which I assume gave the fight to Condit. So whoever landed the more shots wins right? Wrong. Diaz fought Sherk a few years back and Diaz beat the fuck out of him.....Sherk landed a takedown in the 3rd round, and was almost submitted. Diaz out struck him by 3-1, and almost triangled the guy. Winner 29-28, Sean Sherk. Bullshit.

They asked a few fighters on who they think won?
Anderson Silva said Diaz
GSP said Draw
Mayhem Miller said Diaz
Dan Henderson said Diaz
Ken Flo said Draw
Tito said Draw

Even Joe Rogan said Diaz won the 1st 2nd and 5th. That's exactly how I saw it.
Condit picked up the pace in the 3rd and clearly won the 4th. In the 5th it was back and forth until Diaz got the takedown, controlled Condit from the back, and then went for the submission. Clearly octagon control, takedowns, and submission attempts don't count anymore.

BTW guess who was one of the judges....Cecil Peoples. The same guy who has screwed up many decisions including Machida vs Shogun 1, and all the Leonard Garcia decisions. But this time it was all the judges. The one judge had it 48-47 for Condit which in some peoples eyes (including Dana White) is what happened, and maybe it could have. Maybe I missed something. You know what I didn't miss though? Was the "Iron Man" Condit was running for the 1st two and a half rounds. Apparently in UFC 83, a fighter (Kalib Starnes) ran away for a full 3 rounds and the judges noticed the lack of aggression and had the fighter lose those rounds. 2 out of 3 of the judges gave Condit the 1st Round, which blows my mind. Not once did Condit do any damage to Diaz in that round.

Fix the judging.
That is all.
/rant


4 comments:

  1. I think ufc shouldnt even have judging. knockout/stoppage or submission is a win, everything else is a draw. also, someone get cecil peoples off the judges. cant they get former ufc fighters to be judges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. he got slapped by Diaz and didn't retaliate. I bet he lost more fans in this win than in a brawl that ended with a loss. He sold his dignity to get a title. I can't believe that insignificant leg kicks count more than aggressive cage control. Even Condit's head kick didn't stop Diaz from moving forward. The judges need a way to decide if a fighter has no intention to finish the fight then they should be allowed to deduct points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, let me say that I agree completely with the judges.

    Naw, but there will be a large explosion.

    The only thing that I can think of is that while Diaz was pushing and Condit was backing up, Diaz was failing to land anything significant first while pushing. Just giving credit to the method employed by Condit. I watched the fight again and I guess if you can get past the fact that "back up and land a bullshit punch first then circle out" was the entire plan.....then I guess you could have scored those rounds for Condit and gone home to look your gay lover in the face and sleep that night.

    Would the right choice have been to quit chasing Condit and give in to a boring as fuck fight? I don't know. But I think that if Diaz has squared off and stopped chasing, then Condit may have had to take a step forward and Diaz could have landed the first punch in every exchange. Though he would have looked like a bitch.

    /Thread

    ReplyDelete
  4. Injury report came out today.

    this is taken direct from mmamania:

    Carlos Condit -- Suspended until March 6, 2012, and no contact until Feb. 26, 2012, because of a right cheek laceration

    Nick Diaz, who chased Carlos Condit for essentially 25 minutes, unsurprisingly, did not make an appearance on the final post-fight trauma report.

    ReplyDelete