Monday, December 16, 2013

KRAMPUS

have you guys heard of Krampus?
it sounds like a christmas tradition i could really get behind.

Krampus is like Santa's evil brother.  basically devil santa. he looks like the devil in a santa outfit.
its a german folklore tradition.
Santa brings good kids gifts
Krampus EATS bad kids.  he captures them and beats them with a stick, then carries them away in a sack and hangs them from a tree and eats them.  Also, he is terrifying.

recently they had Krampus on an episode of the tv show Grimm.  i felt like he was doing society a favor by stealing these bad kids and eating them, but for some reason they had to stop him.

also, the name is really fun to say, Sarah had actually heard of the legend before and once she saw it on the show she told me what it was and I just kept shouting the name every time he was on teh scream.  "FUcking krampus!, run kid"

this is what he looked like on the Grimm show.  the santa outfit brings in a whole new level of creepy

wiki description
Krampus is a beast-like creature from the folklore of Alpine countries thought to punish children during the Yule season who had misbehaved, in contrast with Saint Nicholas, who rewards well-behaved ones with gifts. Krampus is said to capture particularly naughty children in his sack and carry them away to his lair.

whats even more awesome is that people make Krampus cards (Krampuskarten in germany)

here is an example of a krampuskarten. a bit strange

here is a more terrifying version


some more krampus pics in case you didnt want to sleep tonight or ever.
they had some memes too but they were in german, so i assumed they were funny, but not worth posting.





2 comments:

  1. That one picture is straight from Where the Wild Things Are. We get a bunch of holiday traditions from Germany. Cutting down a tree and bringing it in your house and putting decorations on it is from a German tradition. Christians just adopted it and tried to make it count towards Christmas, even though it has nothing to do with Christ's birth. Too bad they didn't also adopt Krampus, which I like a lot better than Santa. Lump of coal doesn't sound to bad when compared to being eaten by a demon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Andi when we were watching that this guy sounds like the evil Santa my grandma told me about. Then when they said it was the legend of Krampus I just had to laugh. I don't know if that makes her awesome or terrible.

    They did a great job hollywooding it up. Dresses like Santa, beats kids with sticks, eats the really bad ones, and leaves coal behind which he brought from the North Pole. Awesome.
    I think this might be a go to in my house. Jett is already semi leery of Santa sneaking into his house. I think I can make him full on paranoid if I told him about this. What would be awesome is that I can tell him "Do you want to go see Santa?" and he would ball. Yet to most people, it would sound like I was being really nice.

    I'm not sure why they had to stop him. Should kids get eaten for stealing presents? Maybe not. But seeing as all these kids had some kind of criminal history already and were out stealing shit again, I would say that the modern criminal justice system was not working and it was time to get real old school on their asses. I bet he wouldn't even have to eat that many kids before they all got their shit together.

    Then they catch him, and no one want to pull the trigger on him. What the fuck? I'm not sure why you had to catch him anyway, but you did and now you don't want to deal with it. Meanwhile, on Homeland......Caught, tried, and hung the same day. Film at 11.

    ReplyDelete