Nearly everything in the world can be measured by numbers and the higher the number the more/bigger the item is. However, some things don’t follow this obvious numbering scheme and they make my head hurt.
Women’s clothes
Let’s assign an arbitrary number instead of
a measurement. Now let’s skip every other number. And let’s make 0 a size.
How
can 0 be a size? It should be the absence of a size. But it gets even worse.
What if it’s smaller than a size 0? Well let’s call that a double 0. So somehow
00 is smaller than 0. Obviously the creators of this system were not
mathematicians.
Bed sizes
A twin bed is the smallest bed. From the name of
it, you’d think it could fit 2 people, but it can’t.
Then you look at the other
sizes: Full, Queen, King. So maybe a twin is just half a full? That would make
sense, because as we all know, a twin is only half of a full person. But 2
twins don’t make up a Full anyway. 2 twins would be wider than a full. However,
2 twins would be the same width as a Queen, but not the same length. Confused
yet? At least King and Queen make sense, it’s easy to tell which on is bigger.
But it gets tricky when you get bigger than King. There’s a California king
that’s even bigger. So I guess everything is bigger in Cali? I thought
everything was bigger in Texas. Maybe they should just go by playing cards and
call it an Ace. How about just calling them by their length and width
measurements? Nah, far too easy.
Wire gauge
So the smaller the number, the bigger the wire?
That’s really confusing. So say I’ve got a 12 ga. Wire and that’s not big
enough. So I’ll switch to something bigger. How about 2 ga.? No that would be
way too big. What's the biggest size you have? Size 0. Huh?
Tennis scoring
The first point you win in a game is worth 15 points. So is the 2nd. But the 3rd is only worth 10. I’m not even gonna get into deuce. For example, if I win the first 2 points of a game, the score would be 30-0. Now if you win the next point, you get 15 points. However, if I were to win that point, it would only be worth 10. That’s racist.
But here’s where they really get me. Every time someone wins
a game, there score is increased by 1. Then when they win enough games, their
number of sets is increased by 1. When they win enough sets, they win the
match. So the creators of tennis scoring understand how to keep it simple and
add 1 for every game won, or every set won, but chose not to do so for every
point won.
On to the most confusing measurement system
Light bulbs
They have
different sizes, but they are labeled with letters.
I can’t even argue why it
is a bad system because I have no idea how it works. I just match the letter of
what I need, or I bring the burnt out bulb with me. Good luck getting the right
one, cause I can’t help you.












Automotive light bulbs are confusing as shit too.
ReplyDeleteMetric tire sizes always screw with me the most. Standard sizes are simple as shit. 33x12.50x17...it is 33" tall(diameter) and 12.5" wide at the tread and fits a 17" rim. Yeah, that's the size I want.
Metric
265/70/17
265 is the section width in mm. What? Section width is the measurement from the widest point of the outside sidewall to the widest point of the inside sidewall. Well that is fucking handy. Is that the part that touches the ground? No. Get fucked.
70 is the sidewall aspect ration. Who comes up with that shit? So, that is how tall the sidewall is. No, dumbass. It indicates that the sidewall height is 70% of the section width. Why would you do this? The first number is a measurement and the second number is a math problem.
The last number is 16. Ok, I think I have it. That is the amount of air it holds if you multiply it by the section width and then divide it by the aspect ration. What are you? A fucking retard? It is the diameter of the wheel it fits. In inches. Duh.
They also toss letters in there that mean all kinds of stuff.
R is Radial
P is passenger
LT is light truck
T is Euro Metric
C is Commercial and will have a B,C,D,E,F to indicate load range as well.
ST is specific trailer
Z is a speed rating. It is the only one in use currently. So why put it?
If the R in the size was replaced with a D (225/50D16), it would identify that the internal tire body plies crisscross on a Diagonal and that the tire has a "bias ply" construction. Tires using this construction are for light truck and spare tire applications.
B is belted which means it is bias ply with steel belts.
this is a great post. who invented women's clothing? the sizing is so dumb when compared to mens sizes. how do women even measure what size they are? can't use a tape measure, just have to go and try it.
ReplyDeletestu's tire explanation is great, this must be the worst measurement system of all time.
i lol'd at the guy that steals all teh green cards