We Found Love
[Rihanna]
[Verse 1]
Yellow diamonds in the light, and we're standing side by side
As your shadow crosses mine, what it takes to come alive
[Bridge]
It's the way I’m feeling I just can't deny
But I've gotta let it go
[Chorus 4 times]
We found love in a hopeless place
[Verse 2]
Shine a light through an open door, Love and life I will divide
Turn away cause I need you more, Feel the heartbeat in my mind
[Bridge]
[Verse 1]
[Chorus 8 times]
Stats:
# of different words used – minimal
Repetition – maximum, the same verse is used twice, the chorus is sung 12 times
Rhyming – once, probably on accident
Delivery – good, it’s the only reason this is even a song, she phrases things in an interesting way to make it seem like she's not just saying the same thing over and over. (even though she is)
Pinball Wizard
[The Who]
[Verse 1]
Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball
From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him, In any amusement hall
[Chorus]
That deaf, dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pinball
[Verse 2]
He stands like a statue, Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the bumpers, Always playing clean
He plays by intuition, The digit counters fall
[Chorus]
[Bridge]
He's a pinball wizard, There's got to be a twist
A pinball wizard, He's got such a supple wrist
How do you think he does it?
(I don't know)
What makes him so good?
[Verse 3]
He ain't got no distractions, Can't hear those buzzers and bells
Don't see lights a flashin', Plays by sense of smell
Always gets a replay, Never tilts at all
[Chorus]
[Verse 4]
I thought I was, The Bally table king
But I just handed,My pinball crown to him
Even on my usual table, He can beat my best
His disciples lead him in, And he just does the rest
He's got crazy flipper fingers , Never seen him fall
[Chorus]
Stats:
# of different words used – Good
Repetition – Minimal
Rhyming – Great, the last line of the verse even rhymes with the chorus. it's cool because you don't even know you're in the chorus since the rhyme scheme is still there.
Delivery – Great, try to sing it in rockband, it's not so easy.
Notes - This song has a good story. It's pretty easy to follow, there is nice harmony, and it's a new idea. It's not just another love song. It's about a blind kid playing pinball and beating kids that can see. And it's based on a true story that actually happened to the artist. The verses all rhyme. That's not a new concept, that's what music is supposed to do. And just to let you know, when the guy wrote it, it was a joke. He said it was one of the worst songs he ever wrote. They only play it on the radio and at concerts because the fans liked it so much. Seems like a lost concept that fans would decide what music is good instead of just listening to whatever record companies tell radio stations to play.
99 Problems
Jay-z
[Bridge]
If you're havin' girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
[Verse One]
I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol, Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Rap critics they say he's "Money Cash Hoes", I'm from the hood stupid, what type of facts are those?
If you grew up with holes in ya zapatos, You'd be celebrating the minute you was havin' dough
I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole, If you don't like my lyrics you can press fast forward
I got beef with radio if I don't play they show, They don't play my hits I don't give a shit so
Rap mags try and use my black ass, So advertisers can give 'em more cash for ads, fuckers
I don't know what you take me as, Or understand the intelligence that Jay-Z has
I'm from rags to riches niggas I ain't dumb, I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Hit me
[Chorus]
99 problems but a bitch aint one
If you're havin' girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Hit me
[Verse Two]
The year's '94 and my trunk is raw, In my rear view mirror is the mother fuckin' law
I got two choices y'all pull over the car or (hmmm), Bounce on the double put the pedal to the floor
Now I ain't tryin' to see no highway chase with Jay, Plus i got a few dollars i can fight the case
So I...pull over to the side of the road, I heard "Son do you know why I'm stoppin' you for?"
Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low? Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'? "Well you was doin fifty-five in a fifty-fo' "
"License and registration and step out of the car", "Are you carryin' a weapon on you I know a lot of you are"
I ain't steppin out of shit all my paper's legit. "Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk in the back, And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?" "Or somebody important or somethin'?"
Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit, Enough that you won't illegally search my shit
"We'll see how smart you are when the K9 come." I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Hit me
[Chorus 2x]
[Verse Three]
Now once upon a time not too long ago, A nigga like myself had to strong arm a hoe
This is not a hoe in the sense of havin a pussy, But a pussy havin no God Damn sense, try and push me
I tried to ignore him and talk to the Lord, Pray for him, cause some fools just love to perform
You know the type loud as a motor bike, But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight
The only thing that's gonna happen is I'ma get to clappin, He and his boys gon be yappin to the captain
And there I go trapped in the kit kat again, Back through the system with the riff raff again
Fiends on the floor scratchin again, paparazzi's with they cameras snappin them
D.A. tried to give the nigga shaft again, Half-a-mil for bail cause I'm African
All because this fool was harrasin' them, Tryin to play the boy like hes saccarin
But ain't nothin sweet 'bout how I hold my gun, I got 99 problems being a bitch ain't one.
Hit me
[Bridge 3x]
Stats:
# of different words used – Great
Repetition – Minimal
Rhyming – Great
Delivery – Great, try to memorize a verse and sing it without stumbling. It takes some practice
Notes: The beat to this song is great, plus the guitar sound was a nice changeup for a rap song. It paints a picture for you in each verse without ever breaking the rhyme scheme. That's what a talented artist does. Just look at all the words, he didn't write this song in an afternoon.
don't even get me started on pitbull, he's got some gems that i'd like to forget.
ReplyDeleteHere's my favorite rhyme of his.
"Me not workin hard, yeah right, picture that with a kodak.
Matter fact, go to times square, take a picture of me with a kodak."
Wow, rhymed kodak with kodak, who'd have thought it was possible.
gotta agree with this, i think in the last 5 years popular music has gotten so dumbed down. i always think that i could write a song that could be a hit. now you can make a whole line in a song out of one word, you just stutter it over and over. pitbull has to be the worst rapper, all he does is say swag in every line.
ReplyDeleteWho the fuck is Ke$ha? If you need a better satellite station I can recommend one. They don't play any of those people you are disappointed in.
ReplyDeleteGreat thread topic. Music sucks hard nowadays. Here's part of my favourite song ever.
ReplyDeleteRenegades of Funk by Rage Against the Machine
"Since the Prehistoric ages and the days of ancient Greece
Right down through the Middle Ages
Planet earth kept going through changes
And then the Renaissance came and times continued to change
Nothing stayed the same but there were always renegades
Like Chief Sitting Bull, Tom Paine
Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X
They were renegades of their time and age
So many renegades"
Awesome song.
Now when I hear Rihanna's voice, I know why Chris Brown punched her in the throat.
Also another example of greatness.
ReplyDelete(The Snake the rat, the cat, the dog,
how you gon' see them if you living in the fog)
My nigga TP creep with me
(The Snake the rat, the cat, the dog,
how you gon' see them if you living in the fog)
[Verse 1: DMX]
Why is it every move I make turn out to be a bad one
Where's my guardian angel
need one, wish I had one
(I'm right here shorty and I'm gonna hold you down
and tryin' to fuck all these bitches I'm gonna show you how)
But who?
(My name D like you but my friends call me Damien
and I'm gonna put you into somethin' about this game we in
You and me could take it there
and you'll be the hottest nigga ever livin')
That's a givin'
(You'll see)
Hmmm that's what I've been wantin' all my life
Thinkin' 'bout my little man so I call my wife
Well your dada is about to make it happen
What you mean my nigga?
I'm about to make it rappin'
Today I met this cat
He said his name was Damien
He thinks that we're a lot alike and wants to be my friend
(You mean like Chuckie?)
HaHa yeah just like Chuckie
(Dada looks like w both lucky)
[Yeah]
[Hook:]
The Snake, the rat, the cat, the dog
How you gon' see them if you livin in the fog [4x]
[Verse 2:]
(Hey yo D)
What up D
(You a smooth nigga, I seen you
but nobody knew who pulled the trigger)
Yeah, you know it's always over doe
(You sure, I could've sworn it was over a hoe)
Na, na that ain't my style
(May you stay frontin' but you still my man
and I ain't goin' say nothin', got yo weed go 'head smoke it,
go 'head drink it, go 'head 'n fuck shorty
you know I can keep a secret
I'm about to have you drivin'
probably a Benz, but we gotta stay friends
Blood out, blood in)
Sounds good to me, fuck it, what I got to lose
Hmm nothin' I can think of, ANY NIGGA WOULD CHOOSE
Got me pushin' the whips, takin' trips across seas
Pockets stay laced, nigga I push G's
For that nigga I would bleed, give him my right hand
Now that I think about it yo, that's my man
[Hook]
[Verse 3:]
(You like how everything is goin'
You like what I did
You know if you was goin' down
I'd be the one to save you
But yo I need a favor, these cat's across town hate me
Plus their behavior hasn't been too good lately)
What!? Anything for you dog
Where them niggas at
(38th and Broadway)
Let me get the Gat
Run up on 'em strapped
Bust off caps on four niggas
Laid low for 'bout a month and killed two more niggas
Now I'm ready to chill but you still want me to kill
(Look at what I did for you dog, come on, keep it real)
Aight, fuck it, I'm gonna do it, who is it this time
(Hey yo remember that kid Sean you used to be with in 89)
Naw, that's my man
(I thought I was your man)
But yo, that's my nigga
(Hey who's your biggest fan, either do it or give me your right hand
That's what you said)
I see now, ain't nothin' but trouble ahead
[Hook]
In the fog, the fog
livin' in the fog
How you gon' see 'em if you livin' in the fog
How you gon' see 'em if you livin' in the fog
The snake, the rat, the cat, the dog
To be continued motherfuckers
Haaaaaahahaha
I know that DMX guy.....Steven Segal killed him.
ReplyDeleteFunny story....I went to a DMX concert. Actually, it was LimpBizkit(or however that freak spells it), Godsmack, and.....DMX "played" between them. You could hear crickets.
DMX: "D!!!!" "M!!!!!" (Holds mike out for an enthusiastic crowd to scream X!!!!!)
"Chirp chirp....chirp chirp"
how do you feel about the angry music? has it changed over time? are the people any less angry or have shittier lyrics?
ReplyDeletei actually like some of the stuff, specifically the one i've heard in your truck a few times. i fucking hate you, youre such a liar. not sure if thats the name of the song, but it makes you feel smashing someones face into a car windshield.
Godsmack - I fucking hate you
ReplyDeletePretty good song.
What I find a lot of is that too many of the angry bands that I love make decent money and they are just not angry enough to pour their hearts into it. Then some skeezy white trash stripper breaks their heart and they put out something that reminds me of one of their old, angry songs with just enough whining to drive me crazy and get them banned from my truck's hard drive.
The ones that stay angry....are usually crazy. Not that it's a terrible thing. You don't hear much happy music out of slipknot or korn.
Like everything these days. It's so easy for anyone with one decent song to get enough exposure to warrant an album that winds up being a total shit pile.
I also just fucking love Cake.